Sunday, June 3, 2007

I love Playing Soccer

I have decided to post a comment made by a talented footballer in my football team. He is still studying but is very passionate about soccer.


Thomas writes:

Parents are having visions of potential athletic wonder-children dancing in their heads thanks to the success of Freddy Adu. This 14-year old Ghanian boy signed a contract to play major league soccer in the US for the DC United team.
Although he’s young, he stands a chance of playing in the Men’s 2006 World Cup but wasn't used. I admire him, but his kind of success has never been what’s driven me to play soccer.


I’ve devoted countless hours to soccer, dealt with evil-tempered teams and refs, and my knees look like someone took a cheese grater to them. I have no regrets for the time I’ve spent playing soccer and accumulating bruises and bad tans.


While becoming a professional athlete may be a noble goal and should not be discouraged, it is far from the only reason kids should play sports. For me, soccer provides a release from the pressures of academics and home. And knowing that I’m playing not just for myself, but for my school and my teammates is something every young person should experience.


I play soccer because I love the game. I love the adrenalin rush when I make a great save. I love making a fool out of the opposing team’s offense. And it doesn’t hurt that sports look darn good on myresume. These are the things that make sports worthwhile, no professional career required.

Thomas - 19

No comments: